To organize and conduct an international festival in the City of Plano to educate, enlighten and enrich the multicultural experience of all of its citizens.
The Plano International Festival was conceived by the Plano City Council’s Multicultural Outreach Roundtable (MCOR) in 2005 to showcase and celebrate the many cultures represented by the people of Plano. It is designed to promote awareness of cultural diversity and facilitate communication between all cultural groups in the community It also serves to advance Plano’s visibility and standing as an international city. The Plano International Festival is sponsored by the Plano International Festival Corporation, a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization, and underwritten by the City of Plano.
2013 Festival Highlights
- Plano Mayor Harry LaRosiliere. Honorary Chair.
- 18, 000 attendees are expected.
- 100 cultures to be represented in the parade of nations, fashion show, international food court, on-stage performances, cultural booth, children’s workshop and International Art Exhibit.
- New this year is the Children’s Global Village and Health Fair, with fun, educational activities to promote a healthy lifestyle. Kids and families can participate in free health screening, obtain health information from local organizations, and get moving with sports and games. The Global village will feature hands-on craft projects along with a passport to the World that encourage kids to visit different booths and learn about the cultures represented.
- Naturalization ceremony through the Department of Homeland Security.
- Multicultural Art Exhibit running from September through October 15 in the Courtyard Theater.
- Expanded green initiatives and Green village with earth-friendly displays and information from local businesses.
* Over 80% of all waste generated at the 2012 Festival was diverted from landfill through a comprehensive Zero Waste program, including organic waste collection.
* Three-time recipient of the City of Plano’s Environmental Star of Excellence Award 2009, 2010 and 2012.
* Keep Texas Beautiful 2012 Civic Organization Award Second Place, and Green Source DFW Environmental Leadership Awards 2012 Finalists.
* Plano International Festival supplies biodegradable plates, bowls and utensils to food vendors and attendees will be asked to sort their waste into organic, recyclable and regular trash bins.
* Low carbon footprint: the Festival is an outdoor event with no lights or A/C, organizers strive to use local suppliers, and visitors are encouraged to use public transportation through a sponsorship by DART.
- Over 80,000 flayers being distributed to all PISD schools, Plano recreation centers, downtown merchants, and other venues.
- Social Media presence.